wild millers
Participant

Those same reasons are why we use a trailer instead of a scoot of some sort. Trees in the woods and trees on the road. At one point we did try strapping snowmobile skis to the for cart tires using the straps from a car dolly and welding down some brackets on the skis to attach the straps into. It seemed like it might work..but it was a mess. Couldn’t handle sharp turns, and had trouble backing up. In the end a semi packed trail through the woods snow was not all that bad to travel over and that is what we do now.

I was curious what every one is using for wood? What species, how and when you process, also how you store it.

This is the first year that we have wood that I’m really happy to be using. It is all Basswood and Poplar. We had a big multi-trunk Basswood blow down not far from the sugar house last year and decided to try it for sugar wood. Not really a species we would want to use in the house stove since it is fairly light and “soft” It was such a joy to work, easy to cut, easy to split. The same can be said for the Poplar that we cut and processed at the same time. (At that point we were hand splitting everything and pine can be such a bear to hand split.) We were cutting and skidding logs next to the sugar house all season last year during off days or mornings before we would collect sap. Ended up getting it all stacked and under cover by the end of April and this is the first year we used metal roofing to cover the pile instead of tarps (what a mess) We built the pile two pallets deep and stacked the wood to pitch from the south face down to the north face slightly and covered with used metal roofing. As we access wood this year it is all dry as matchsticks, best of all, when you move through the pile we can simply push back a sheet of metal roofing in sort of a telescoping roof system. Without a proper wood shed I think this is definitely the best system we have had yet. We got the idea from another sugar maker friend.

Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.