Draft Animal Power – Draft animals and sustainable land stewardship Forum Community of Interest Education Prepairing the Garden / Seeding pasture/ Hands on lesson this weekend

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  dominiquer60 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Posts |

Sue Brennan
    Participant

This weekend May 17th & 18th I will be spring-tooth harrowing & seeding a field for pasture with draft horses. (Percheron’s) Also preparing the vegetable garden with a walking plow. Typically I have a beginners class which this year other business matters took priority. The Sun is shining and the work has to get done. So I would enjoy sharing my expertise with any future farmer looking for hands on experience, low key informative day or the whole weekend. Open for 3 individuals per day. $50/per day. I will start with Safety, Safety, and Safety! Handling a horse, brief discussion on flight animals, harnessing, hands on line driving, hitching to a fore-cart, Spring tooth harrowing a field, driving a straight line using the 5′ Brillion Seeder, Laying out the field for plowing, seeding etc. Plowing with a walking plow. Single or team. Using a blanker with a pair of drafts. If time allows maybe plant some potatoes with a potato planter. This is a great opportunity for some one to get hands on lessons since I have waited till the last minute. I’m on the Massachusetts/NY line 3 miles south of I90 – 300 New Concord road, East Chatham, NY 12060. Call me and to discuss level of driving skills. I can customize the day to your needs. Sue Brennan 413-441-0037 Seems like a lot, but the field & garden is small.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by  Sue Brennan.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Sue Brennan
    Participant

Ugh….I hate that I can not edit posts!!!(Or delete!) The plow photo above is a terrible plow job. I was behind a person driving 2 + 2 mules on a sulky plow and he was all over the place. I was attempting to straighten the furrow out which took twice around the field! Only to have him come back and mess it all up again. Good thing it was a “fun day” gathering off the farm!

dominiquer60

No worries Sue, When I saw your plow where it was my first thought was that you must be straightening out a mess 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you are logged in then you do not have the correct membership level. Please go here to upgrade your membership!