This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  JaredWoodcock 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Posts |

fjordowner
    Participant

It looks like singletrees attached to the hooks on each side of this pole assembly rather than using an evener. Does that make sense and should I do the same or add an evener? Thanks for any input.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Rivendell Farm
    Participant

I would replace that setup with an evener. On the other hand, with this type of steering, it might make it easier to turn sharply with a heavy load. Bob

Dale D
    Participant

Maybe that is a holdback for the evener.

fjordowner
    Participant

Thanks for the help. I have an idea of what you mean, Dale but could you explain exactly what you mean by a holdback. Thanks again.

Dale D
    Participant

On one of my wagons (homemade, not very old) it has a chain from each end of the evener back to the fifth wheel. It limits how much the evener can swing if one horse gets ahead of the other.
    Dale

carl ny
    Participant

It almost looks to me that there was a hole for an evener in the pole right where it is broken. That would go along with Dale’s idea of the hold backs. I have never seen the single trees mounted solid to the running gear so I have to go with Dale on this one. JMHO

carl ny

fjordowner
    Participant

I found an old fore cart on the same farm that the wagon came from and, sure enough, the singletrees hook straight back to the axle. Can’t find a name anywhere so perhaps it’s all homemade equipment. Thanks for all the comments.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

CharlyBonifaz
    Participant

not only easier in curves, should also provide more “up” when pulling a heavy load through deep soil
    seems like many Russian carts/carriages were designed with the horses hooked straight to the front axle

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by  CharlyBonifaz.

Ronnie Tucker
    Participant

the holdbacks are called staychains most old wagons had hooks on the axle to attach them to.always used here in the south.

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

I always wondered why this wasnt done more, what would the draw back be to having hold chains? They always made sense to me?

Jared

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you are logged in then you do not have the correct membership level. Please go here to upgrade your membership!