This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jim Ostergard 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Posts |

Jim Ostergard
    Participant

I have finally decided to let go of my arch. Was going to keep it and convert my woods wagon so I could change the beams from one to the other but really with the smaller animals I don’t need the arch anymore. It has really worked well for me and in certain situations I would not trade it. A long yard over rough ground its the nuts! I think the biggest log I had on it with a single was close to 250 bf, that was on flat ground slight down slope truth be told. Shafts come with it.
    Price is now $750. I don’t think you could build one for that. Located at my place in Appleton, Maine

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Tender Soles
    Participant

Jim,

I haven’t seen an arch like this one. What advantages does it have over an arch with a single pair of wheels? Do the two pairs articulate independently? I’d be interested to take a look at them in person sometime. I’m living in nearby Whitefield right now.

Rich

Jim Ostergard
    Participant

Rich,
    Each side rotates on the walking beam separately. A nice arch to ride on as each wheel lifts over rocks or stumps or logs for that matter. I have used the high deck arches and just found climbing up and down all day just like working back on the skidder. If I was starting in again I would look at the Barden cart pretty seriously but I got this rig about ten years ago before we could share information like we can today. I probably would still use a walking beam. Since I have down sized and my Fjord uses a scandinavian harness I have just put into use my new John Plowden scandinavian arch. Hope this helps.

Tender Soles
    Participant

Do you think I could come over and check it out sometime? Maybe take it for a test drive? I’m in Whitefield. You can e-mail me at tendersolesfarm@gmail.com with your address and we can set up a date.

Jim Ostergard
    Participant

Rich,
    Come over and we can discuss it. Sent you an email.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you are logged in then you do not have the correct membership level. Please go here to upgrade your membership!