Welcome to the Draft Animal-Power Network!
October 7th – 9th 2016
Every other year we host the Annual Gathering in place of our larger DAP Field Days. This event is smaller and more personal. Please join us for a fun, educational event focused on our relationships with each other in the draft animal power community.
This year we will gather in Charlestown, NH (15 minutes off of I-91). Events will be located at an 1828 farmhouse and surrounding lands that we are in the process of restoring to active agricultural use. We will work together on various homestead projects including plowing, cultivating, forestry, and training. We hope for some late season hay making and have lots of room for new and returning members to participate with or without their animals. Forestry will include a look into the pine harvest and land management on this farm, as well as transporting logs to our mill and producing lumber. Plowing, cultivating, and haying will all happen on the farmstead. All activities are close together. There’s an outdoor riding ring and miles of trails and good roads to drive on. Camping, stalls and pasture space available.
The excitement starts as teamsters and members gather Friday afternoon. We plan to offer basic home cooked meals for a donation. There will be a Sat night bonfire to enjoy at the conclusion of the various homestead projects. On Sunday morning we will be raffling off the newly built logging scoot, enjoy a farm fresh breakfast and have the DAPNet annual meeting. Workshops and work projects will finish up on Sunday afternoon. A more detailed schedule will be posted closer to the event.
Sign-up using the form on the right to receive the Monthly DAPNet News!
Visit our Blog for all the latest News, Events and Updates!
If you are an Amazon.com shopper, Please consider selecting DAPNet through the AmazonSmile program when you check out. AmazonSmile will donate a percentage of every sale to support DAPNet 501(c)3.
Buy your Log Scoot Raffle Tickets Today!
DAPNet member, Jay Fisher, is currently building a log scoot based off of Les Barden’s drawn plans.This ten foot scoot will feature hardwood runners, replaceable shoes, heavy gauge steel fittings and chain, and hand forged iron rings to support the pole.
If anybody would like to join Jay in the building process at his farm in Charlestown, NH please contact him by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Raffle tickets are available from DAPNet board members, at DAPNet events and through the DAPNet Newsletter. You can also purchase your tickets by printing Scoot raffle tickets here online and mailing them in with payment or through our online store.
One ticket for $5 and five tickets for $10. Drawing to be held October 9th at the Draft Animal-Power Network Annual Gathering. Need not be present to win. Must arrange own transport delivery from Charlestown NH.
- DAPNet Online Forum: An international forum that provides connections, help and support for and from others who use draft animals in their daily lives.
- Draft Animal-Power Annual Gathering: Mark your calendars! October 8&9, 2016 in Charlestown NH
- Draft-Animal Power Field Days: Fall 2017 workshops and presentations (location TBA) will cover a wide variety of topics relating to oxen, mules and horses, their care, training and use. A track on Animal-Powered Market Gardening will be of great benefit to those seeking to expand their skills in organic production. A vast array of topics will offer plenty of inspiration for novices and experienced teamsters alike.
- Twice Yearly Newsletter: Photos, unique articles, and a calendar of upcoming events fill the pages of our biannual, printed or e-newsletter. A significant portion of our membership are not online and they value this resource that connects them with the organization.
- Regional Educational Events: These events cover a wide variety of topics in various formats and are offered across the northeastern US. Past events include Logging Workshops, Plow Clinics and Driving Basics classes.
The goal of the Draft Animal-Power Network is to provide year-round educational and networking opportunities, highlighting ongoing efforts of people throughout the region who are educating, mentoring and building community around animal-power and renewable land use.
Our mission: Advancing the use of draft animals and promoting sustainable land stewardship to build community through education and networking.
The Draft Animal-Power Network is a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit, please support our work by donating or becoming a member!
271 Plank Rd, Vergennes, VT 05491-9678 802-763-0771 email@example.com